Friday, May 9, 2008

Love On Daneshgah Street in Z-dan


I often wonder how it would be if life was not how it is today. How would my life be growing up in Z-dan amongst relatives and balochis, instead of being the only black-haired girl on the bus?

Would I have the ability to do the simpliest things I can do today, like going out and taking a walk? Could I be a student, in Daneshgah Azad (Azad University)?

Mentioning the Daneshgah Azad, gives me flashbacks from those summers in Z-dan, when I used to take long walks on the Daneshgah street in Z-dan. That street was quiet famous because it had more than 5-6 internet-cafés and was the place to hang out for the students in Z-dan.


Whenever walking on that street, especially Thursday nights, was a moment to enjoy. I felt as if I was part of a Naguib Mahfouz-book, don't ask me why! (Cairo and Z-dan has nothing in common, but I got that feeling anyway:P )

The girls, wearing heavy make-up, and tight dresses/mantos, were walking on the street with a self-confidence one could kill for.
(I was wearing balochi clothes, black chador and some comfortable slippers, the only "make-up" I was wearing was some moisturizing skin cream I rubbed on my face just before leaving the house!)

The guys on the other hand, had 3 kilos hair-gel rubbed on their hair, and with worn-out jeans and tight t-shirts they would check out every girl passing by, and often being so brave/rude that they would follow the girls and change numbers after a short conversation.

I thought this was amazing, the way everything was so crystal-clear;

guy sees girl, guy like girl, guy gets girl


The funny thing was that I never saw balochi girls on that street, but a lot of balochi guys....and I sure checked them out! :D

6 Comments:

At May 10, 2008 at 4:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol too much makeup, and the guys wearing really tight shirts. Everyone looks back at their youth and wishes for it, for the simpler times.

The 'what ifs' in the post are interesting. I always wonder too, what if I was in a different place? Would I be already married like everyone else? Would I have a different set of worries than those I have now? I wonder what happened to that couple after the picture was taken. Are they still together? Do they still hold hands as they walk down the street?

 
At May 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Hina said...

Are you in Z-dan already? I've never been to Iran but sure am eager to visit it someday, especially the Sistan Va Balochistan area, supposedly the homeland of the handsome heroes Rostam & Esfandyar (Shahname :P).. let me know if you ever spot them on streets :D

 
At May 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Baloch Girl said...

Hina:

No, I'm not in Z-dan (yet) just had some flashbacks from earlier visits! If you have any plans to visit Z-dan during this summer, let me know cuz I would love to be ur host!:D

 
At May 10, 2008 at 11:19 PM , Blogger Hina said...

Thanks for the kind offer, BG! But this summer is impossible as it's my last as an undergraduate student, so, there's job, GRE prep, and a couple of other things, which will have me going to uni anyway despite the vacations. *Sigh* But you'll cover Z-dan well enough for me to feel better. :P

 
At May 11, 2008 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Baloch Girl said...

haha, yeah Hina, I'm thinking of buying a cheap Canon digital camera soon, so don't forget to check out the blog even though u are busy during this summer! I will upload Rostam & Esfandyar look-a-likes just for u inshallah!:)

 
At May 13, 2008 at 3:34 AM , Blogger Hina said...

Really, that's so sweet of you! You can buy a very good camera for well around $150. I'll be downloading blog feeds on my cell phone this summer, inshaAllah, so, I won't miss a thing. Neither Rostam nor Esfandyar! :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home