Monday, September 29, 2008

Guptan - Upside - Down?


Here's a pic I bumped into long time ago, from the site http://www.iranian.com/ , where an Iranian designer uploaded her pics. The first reaction I had was...'WTF!, this is a traditional balochi guptan!' The designer had obviously got rid of the upper part, and the sleeves are shortened. This dotch is a dotch that most ppl in z-dan has, it actually signifies balochi dresses in zahedan, and it's worn not as a "majlis" dotch, (something you would wear at a wedding), but more as a casual dotch.
I could actually wear this dress while going out, cuz it is very 'balochi' in some way. I would however prefer another dotch,cuz this one is not so detailed. It doesn't look 'ugly', but it looks weird for us who are not used to see the guptan like this! I tried to get a dress made like this, with a more detailed dotch on a red fabric, but didn't have the opportunity nor time! It is still unsewed in my closet in Z-dan!
However, this is the pic that generated and strenghted my will to create something to reach out to the people who are interested in balochi dresses.
I actually showed this pic to my relatives in z-dan, and they thought ppl in the west are as crazy as could get!

3 Comments:

At September 29, 2008 at 11:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it would have looked better if the triangle was not there...I don't know what's it called in balochi

 
At September 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Baloch Girl said...

That's the upper part of the guptan, it is useful as a pocket:P, but apparently no use when it's upside down! I actually remember some relatives telling stories about a trick pickpockets often use; they tear apart, or cut the "guptan" and can therefore get hand on the money that balochi women store in their guptans/pockets! Maybe we should invent some kind of 'safety zipper' in the future to prevent theiefs (or should I say pick-guptans?) from getting into their guptans!?

 
At September 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Baloch Girl said...

Ps. It was not a real invention, more like a joke for ppl who think I'm getting a little bit over the line :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home